August 13 was a day that we looked forward to more than any
other. I remember looking forward to our wedding day with the same kind of
excitement and anticipation. When we discovered that we were expecting a baby
one of the first things we did was found out the due date. He or she was to be
born on August 13. I know that statistically not many babies are born on their
actual due date. Most of them are born a few days before or a few days after
but we knew that our baby would be coming and August 13 was the day we were
looking forward to.
Today is August 13 but our baby is not coming. She won’t be
making her big entrance today. She won’t be taking her first breath today. We
won’t be hearing her first cries today. We won’t be holding her in her first
few moments of life today. We won’t get to kiss her today. We won’t get to hug
her today. We won’t get to look at her beautiful little face today. We won’t
get to swaddle her in a little blanket today. We won’t get to tell the nurses
what we named her today. Dave won’t get to walk into a waiting room full of
anxious family and friends to announce the arrival of our baby girl today.
Abigail won’t be coming today.
I have dreaded today. I just wasn’t sure how I would handle
it. I knew it would be sad. I knew it would be hard and I simply didn’t want
the day to come. I kept thinking of all the things I could do today that would
make it easier. I could go to my favorite coffee shop and spend some time
there. I could gather up some friends and go shopping. I could go hiking. I thought
of countless things that really wouldn’t have helped ease the pain. I decided
that I want to spend today praising my Heavenly Father and remembering Abigail.
I want to honor Him as I honor her.
To begin this due date I wanted to share a few of my journal
entries. The first is an entry I wrote the night we found out that we were
expecting a baby:
“Father,
Thank you so much for the blessing of our baby. I am
overwhelmed. I am excited, nervous, overjoyed, and terrified all at once.
You are so good God. I am in awe. You reminded me over and
over these past few weeks of Psalm 37:4. You did just that. You showed me the
desire of my heart and you have provided.
What a gift Father. I am speechless and yet have so many
words to say. We are so undeserving but so thankful. Thank you for hearing our
prayer. We are overjoyed. You are so good.
Help us trust you and hand everything to you. I’m so nervous
about a lot of things but I desire to trust in you and your love. Please
provide a healthy pregnancy and please protect our baby. Help him or her grow
and be healthy. Help me and Dave to trust you in the middle of all the changes
and excitement. Help us to be wise in all the decisions that will need to be made.
Take our hands and lead us. You are so good.
I am humbled that you would consider us worthy to be a
mother and father to the child you have created. It is incredible that you are
knitting our baby together in my womb right now. I love you Lord and I am overwhelmed.”
This second entry is a
letter I wrote to Abigail the night we found out about her:
“ We found out about you right before midnight. Daddy and I
could not wait to take the pregnancy test to see if you might be here. So we
took it late at night. We waited anxiously. We so hoped God would bless us with
a baby but we wanted to be content with whatever His will might be. We got
ready for bed and then checked the test together.
I grabbed it from the side of the tub and put my hand over
the results window. I looked at your father and said, “Are you ready?” He
nodded and I removed my hand. The test said PREGNANT!
We were shocked and excited. We held each other and laughed
with excitement. We were both in disbelief. It was something we wanted to so
badly but it seemed surreal, too good to be true.
I will never forget the look on your dad’s face. He was
ecstatic. He gasped in surprise. He has wanted you for a long time, we both
have. We stayed up until 2:00 dreaming about you. We talked about you, your due
date, how we would tell your grandparents and others. We read through some
books on pregnancy to get prepared.
We prayed and thanked God for His gift. We are so humbled to
be chosen to be your mother and father. There’s no greater calling. We are so
blessed. We know that there are lots of
changes and unknowns ahead but we know that God is in control, that He is
provider, protector, faithful, and always near. We are putting our trust in him
and his promises. He is knitting you together right now and we are in awe.”
The third entry is
what I wrote the night we learned that we had lost our baby:
“You were gone almost as quickly as you came sweet baby. We
found out today that you had gone to be with Jesus. We really miss you baby but
we know that Jesus is holding you in His arms. You were just too special for
Earth. He wanted to keep you for the splendor of Heaven.
I long to see you, to hold you, to rock you. I long to love
you and teach you so many things. We are separated only by the veil of Heaven
and I can’t wait to see you one day. In the mean time know that Mommy and Daddy
love you very, very much.
You are very special to us sweet baby. We won’t forget you
and we will never stop loving you. Mommy wants to give you hugs and kisses and
tell you how wonderful you are. Until I can be there to do that I will pray
that Jesus will do it for me.
Mommy loves you little baby and she always will. We will
miss you and long to be with you.
Loving you from this side of Heaven,
Your Mommy”
The fourth entry was
just some of my thoughts and heart cries to the Father that night:
“I was a mother for a brief time. I dreamed of holding my
precious baby. I loved deeply and now I hurt deeply because she is gone.
I rejoice because she is with Jesus but I mourn because she
is not here with me. I know He is rejoicing over our little miracle but I miss
her so badly and want to tell her how much her mommy loves her.
Jesus, I really need you right now. I know you are faithful
God. I know you are near. I know you love me.”
So, August 13 does not mean what it once meant to us. It
does not hold the same joy and excitement that it did back then. But August 13
will always be a special day to me. I will always remember that my precious Abigail was to be born this day but
that her real birthday is December 11 when she went to be with Jesus.
So while I won’t be giving birth to Abigail today I still
want to treat this day as a due date. I want to give the honor, praise, and
thanks that is due my Heavenly Father. I know that He knows what He is doing
and that He has a great plan. I know that He loves me and has never let me go.
I know that He is taking care of my little Abigail until I get there. I also
want to give the honor and remembrance that is due my little girl. She may have
only lived a few short weeks but she made a lasting impact on her mommy and
daddy. Not a day goes by that we don’t think of Abigail. She drew us closer to
each other and closer to the Father. She is making us a better mother and
father for her future brothers and sisters. She changed our lives.
So, today is August 13 but our baby is not coming. She won’t
be making her big entrance today. She won’t be taking her first breath today.
We won’t be hearing her first cries today. We won’t be holding her in her first
few moments of life. We won’t get to kiss her today. We won’t get to hug her
today. We won’t get to look at her beautiful little face today. We won’t get to
swaddle her in a little blanket today. We won’t get to tell the nurses what we
named her today. Dave won’t get to walk into a waiting room full of anxious
family and friends to announce the arrival of our baby girl today. Abigail
won’t be coming today…because she is already home.
Oh Magan; I don't think that could have been more perfectly or beautifully expressed. Today, I shed tears of heartache for you and pray that you will find comfort. I love you.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking of you both all weekend and woke up this morning with you on my heart. I'm praying God's comfort and peace today. Dates like this are hard (we are coming up on 3 years...I can't believe it) and sometimes the anticipation of the day is worse than the day itself. Hoping to get to see you guys soon and give you a real hug (((hug)))!
ReplyDeleteI have been thinking about and praying for you and David all weekend and today. I wish there was something that I could do to stop your pain. Just know I'm here for you if you need me.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you all. God has big plans for you and your husband the baby was needed to keep your dad and my dad in line in heaven. You all will see her again when its your time. Love you all and may God continue to hold you all close
ReplyDeleteLove Cristi