October is pregnancy and infant loss awareness month. I have
spent most of this month remembering. Remembering my precious baby girl,
remembering those friends of ours who have babies waiting for them in heaven
too, and remembering the strangers that have been so kind to share their
stories of loss with us as we have journeyed down this road.
In all of this remembering there is a lot of pain. There are
moments that I so vividly remember the heartbreak of finding out that Abigail
had gone to be with the Lord that it feels like the news just came yesterday.
There are moments that I play back over in my mind, without meaning to, that stir
up that pain and hurt again. Moments that the wound feels so open and raw like it
just happened all over again. Moments that bring my day to a halt as I remember
one precious little girl who changed my life forever.
In all of this remembering there is also a lot of joy. There
are moments that I so vividly remember the peace that passes all understanding that
the Father lavished on me when there was no way to understand His ways. There
are moments that I play back in my mind, without meaning to, that stir up hope,
joy, peace, and a stronger faith in God than I’ve ever had. Moments that my sorrow
has turned to joy. Moments that bring my day to a halt as I remember one
precious little girl and one Mighty Big God who changed my life forever.
I will always miss Abigail. I won’t stop being her mother
and a mother doesn’t stop loving her child. I will always long for the day that
I get to run to her, scoop her up in my arms, and tell her face to face how
much I love her. I will always remember her.
But I will also remember how much God has done in me through
this pain. He has strengthened me and my faith in Him. Never before have I been
in a situation where I was completely dependent on Him. I know that I am never
in control but I at least have a sense that I have a little bit to do with the
way things turn out (I’m still learning). But through this journey I have seen
that I really don’t. I don’t have any control. My only option is to surrender
to him and let Him do what He knows is best.
As hard as that lesson has been it has also been very
freeing. All I can do and all He ever called me to do is trust Him and
surrender everything to Him. That is a choice I have to make daily and some
days it comes more easily than others. While I still miss my baby girl, and I
still can’t get through one day without the overwhelming desire to have a baby,
I have experienced more peace and intimacy with God than ever before.
I plan to write more soon about particular lessons God has
taught me and ways in which He has grown both David and I but I didn’t feel it
was right to let October, the month of remembering, pass by without sharing a
little bit about our memories and honoring our little gift.
Thanks to our wonderful friend Mattie for the picture below. I love
seeing her name! It’s very special to me.
October is so, so bittersweet. There is just something special about seeing their names isn't there?
ReplyDelete