Over the past, almost 5 years, of our marriage one desire of our heart has remained consistent. We desire to have children and raise a family that is centered on Christ. We have been discussing and praying about the time to start trying for our family since the day we said I do. It has been a constant element in our prayer lives as we have sought the Lord for wisdom.
We have struggled with this desire for years as we have tried to discern the Father’s timing for us to become parents. This past October the desire was simply overwhelming for both of us. We saw that as even more confirmation from the Lord that this was His perfect timing. We began what we term as “actively trying to conceive.”
In November, after only 2 months of trying, we found out we were pregnant. We had spent the evening with several friends and were getting ready for bed when David suggested we take a pregnancy test. I was only 1 day late so I was reluctant to test just yet. We were too overcome with excitement to wait any longer so we tested. As we waited the dreaded 3 minutes for the results I couldn't help but think that we would get a positive reading. I had experienced several early symptoms of pregnancy over the past week but hadn't said much about them as I was trying not to get mine or David’s hopes us. We busied ourselves with folding laundry and tiding up the bedroom as we waited that longest 3 minutes I had ever experienced. We walked together to retrieve the test and we closed our eyes. We counted to 3 and then read the best news we had ever received…it was POSITIVE. We use the digital tests so it actually said PREGNANT.
We were thrilled, overjoyed, shocked, in awe, thankful beyond belief. We hugged, jumped up and down, cried, laughed, and stood in shock for a few minutes. We were simply ecstatic. Even though I sort of thought I might be pregnant I was still surprised. I had so hoped we wouldn’t have to try for a long time but it was actually one of my greatest fears that we would have a hard time conceiving. I have never seen Dave so excited about anything. I had known he had wanted a baby for a long time but I guess I just didn’t know how strong his desire to be a daddy was. He was thrilled.
We prayed and thanked God and stayed up late dreaming about this baby and our new family. Some friends of ours had given us several books about pregnancy many years ago so we started reading up on what our baby looked like at 4 weeks. I felt blessed to find out so early. We shared the news with our cat, of course we couldn’t tell anyone else yet but we had to share the news with someone. We called the Doctor the next day and scheduled a visit for around week 6.
The next week we spent dreaming, reading, planning, praying, and simply being in awe of this new life. I started noticing some more symptoms even though it was still early. We were just so excited we even looked at baby clothes and baby furniture.
I'm glad you found out early too. Each day with your baby was special and unique. So glad you are writing all this down. You have a gift of writing.
ReplyDeleteThank you again for the encouragement. I love to write and I am so thankful for that outlet.
Delete